Try this recipe for homemade roasted tomato soup with homemade croutons and I promise you won;t need to order this again. This soup is packed with flavour and nutrition, and serves as a meal in itself.
Makes: 2 servings
- For the Soup
- • 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- • 1 tbsp Butter
- • 2 big Fresh Tomatoes
- • ½ Green Chili Deseeded (use the big green chilis, they are milder)
- • 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- • 1 whole Red Onion (Chopped)
- • 3 cloves of Garlic
- • 1 tsp Sugar
- • 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- • 500 ml of Vegetable Stock (You can add two veg stock cubes to 500 mls of hot water)
- • Salt and Pepper to taste
- • Fresh Cream to serve
- For the Croutons
- • 3 Slices of bread
- • Oil for deep frying
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius for 5 minutes.
- Cover a baking tray with foil. Toss in the quartered tomatoes, sliced chili and garlic cloves. Drizzle about 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss the ingredients to mix everything. Roast these in the oven for about 20 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.
- When you have 5 minutes left for your tomatoes, take a pan and add 1tbsp of olive oil and butter to it. Add in the chopped onions and cook them on low flame until just light brown. Once the onions are brown, add in the tomato puree and cook for about 2 minutes on low flame.
- After 20 minutes, your tomatoes will be done, take them out and toss the roasted tomatoes to your onion mix and add sugar. Do not leave out the juices on the base of your baking tray, add them too. Cook for a minute on low flame.
- Add in the vegetable stock, salt and pepper, boil the soup on high flame. Once boiled, switch of the gas and using a hand blender, puree the soup. Once pureed, sieve the soup to get that velvety consistency and put it back on the gas on medium flame. Add in 1 tbsp of flour mixed with a little water to the soup (you could add it in straight away but that will form lumps). Boil again and take off the flame. Your soup is ready!
- For the Croutons: Dice slices of bread into really small pieces. Ideally, you should have 16 pieced from one slice of bread.
- Deep fry the croutons until golden brown. Take them out and drain on a kitchen paper.
- Serve your soup with a drizzle of fresh cream and a few baby basil leaves (or not)! Add in the croutons for that crunch! Enjoy your soup piping hot and leave your comments to let me know if you liked it.