The ultimate treat for all those who can’t have sugar..these chocolate chip banana muffins are super moist and tender..You won’t miss the sugar one bit!
A little something for all those who cannot or will not have sugar. These chocolate chip banana muffins are naturally sweetened and a treat to have around for those who cannot enjoy sugar.
When my diabetic brother requested me to make “completely sugar free muffins” I was quite honestly in a bit of a pickle. I thought about using artificial sweeteners but I’ve read how horribly wrong they can go if a baking specific sweetener is not used plus there was the issue about the reduced volume. Thank god for internet where I learnt how to substitute sugar with overripe bananas. Making banana muffins with banana as a sweetener was what I decided to do since the flavors wouldn’t clash..and my god were they good. I love sugar in my muffins but I did not miss it one bit in these muffins. These muffins are perfectly tender even without the sugar and the over ripe bananas make it just sweet enough. On top of the bananas I also added a few chocolate chips for added sweetness..I know its cheating but a little bit won’t hurt would it? 😉
- Flour, 1 cup or 128 grams
- Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, ½ teaspoon (skip if using salted butter or Amul)
- Softened Butter, ¼ cup or 50 grams
- Egg, 1
- Large Overripe Bananas, Pureed, 1+ ½ bananas
- Vanilla Essence, 1 teaspoon
- Milk, 2 tablespoon
- Chocolate Chips, ¼ cup
- n a separate bowl, whisk butter for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in the pureed bananas and whisk again for 2-3 minutes until both of them are properly combined.
- Add in the eggs one by one and gently whisk without incorporating too much air.
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to this wet mixture little by little. DO NOT WHISK. Stop mixing when you no longer see dry flour or flour pockets. Now, add in the milk and chocolate chips and mix lightly. Avoid over mixing this batter or your muffins will be tough.
- Grease your muffin tins with a little bit oil. Put the muffin liners in and spoon in the batter into the muffin liners until they're ¾th full.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. Insert a skewer or toothpick in the centre of the muffins to check if they're done. If the skewer comes out clean with a few crumbs your muffins are done. If not..bake for another 3-4 minutes and check again for doneness.
- Store muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Take it out and leave it on the kitchen shelf for at least 15 minutes before eating. Do not microwave.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and keep aside.
Write to me for any queries!
Take pictures of the food you create using a Sugar & Spice by Radhika recipe and Hashtag them on Instagram and Facebook. Use #sugarnspicebyradhika. I love to connect with my readers.
Looking for similar recipes?