This Chocolate cake recipe by Hershey’s is called “Perfectly Chocolate” for a reason, it makes rich, moist and super chocolaty cakes each time! To take things to the next level top it with my chocolate frosting.
Cakes are easy and predictable, you have a recipe, you follow it to the T and you know the result will not vary. This is one reason I love baking! Cooking is more instinctive but baking is purely the recipe! If you follow the recipe religiously you know your cake will turn out just like the one in the picture. BUT..It’s not always true. Baking cakes is not just about following a recipe, it’s much more. It’s about finding a blog or a cookbook that does not lie and gives you recipes that are tried and tested. I’ve tried baking chocolate cakes so many times, SO many, that I’ve lost count but I never baked a perfect chocolate cake, and now I know why. It’s because I never had the perfect recipe.
I tried and tried and tried and then one fine day (aka yesterday) I found this “Perfectly Chocolate” Chocolate Cake recipe courtesy Hershey’s on a food group and all my prayers were answered! I followed the recipe and the cake did turn out the way it promised, moist and “perfectly chocolate”. Not bitter, not overly sweet but just right!
The cake was rich and moist but it needed something! So I made the best frosting to go with it. Delicious and creamy, chocolate buttercream. Unlike most frosting this one doesn’t have powdered sugar in it because I feel like that makes frosting too sweet so I used icing sugar and so it’s just the right amount of sweet! If you like your frostings sweeter by all means use powdered sugar. This recipe makes enough for two 6 inch cakes or two 9 inch cakes..you can use any tin but please remember the time will vary. Baking time depends on the thickness of the cake and not the size so if you use a 9″ cake tin, bake for about 25 minutes but for a 6″ cake tin, your cake will need to be baked for at least 30-35 minutes. Also, allow your cake to cool down completely before you start with the icing otherwise you risk melting it.
- For the Chocolate Cake
- • Sugar*, 2 cups (or 450 grams approx.)
- • Flour (or maida), 1¾ cups (230 grams approx.)
- • Cocoa Powder, 1 cup (125 grams)
- • Baking Powder, 1½ teaspoons
- • Salt, 1 teaspoon
- • Eggs, 2 (or 1 cup/240ml buttermilk**)
- • Milk (at room temp.), 1 cup (or 240 ml)
- • Vegetable Oil, ½ cup (or 120 ml)
- • Vanilla Extract, 2 teaspoons
- • Boiling Water, 1 cup (or 240 ml)
- For the Chocolate Frosting
- • Softened unsalted Butter (or white butter), 150 grams
- • Whipping Cream***, 4 tablespoons
- • Icing Sugar, 1 cup (or 110 grams)
- • Cocoa Powder, ⅔ cup (or 85 grams approx.)
- • Vanilla Essence, 1 teaspoon
- *I used 1½ cup white sugar and ½ cup dark brown sugar, you can however, use only white.
- ** To make 1 cup buttermilk, boil 1 cup milk, once it starts boiling add a tablespoon of lemon juice. As soon as the milk curdles take it off heat and sieve it. Use the liquid part as buttermilk in the recipe. Wait for it to come to room temp before you use it.
- ***I use Whipping cream by Rich's. For the frosting, only use cream with 40% fat content or over.
- Grease and flour two 6-inch round cake tin. (Instead of flour use cocoa powder so that it matches the color of your cake, flour can stain your cake.)
- Preheat your oven at 180 degrees celsius for 10 minutes.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Add in eggs (or buttermilk), milk, oil and vanilla; whisk for about 2 minutes using a mixer or about 3-4 minutes if you're using a hand whisk. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin so don't be alarmed). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let them cool while your prepare your frosting.
- For the frosting, whisk butter and whipping using a hand mixer for about 3 minutes or until they form soft peaks, add in vanilla, icing sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk until everything is properly mixed and the frosting forms stiff peaks.
- Frost your cake once it completely cool and enjoy!
Write to me for any queries!