This light and airy cake filled with fresh kiwis and blueberries is the ultimate dessert! It’s really simple to make and takes only about 30 minutes start to finish.
Believe it or not Swiss Rolls are not as tough to make as they look. These light and fluffy cakes rolled in with fresh cream, berries, and fruits are ridiculously easy to make, and all you need are a handful of ingredients and 30 minutes to get this cake roll ready and baked. Trust me when I say this, you’re going to be making this dessert time and again. It is so simple but looks like you’ve slaved all day in the kitchen to make it!
This recipe, although fairly easy, does have a have few elements that need prepping. None of them is difficult and there’s also a video below to help you out in case there’s any confusion.
The cake is the base and is unlike any cake you’ve ever baked. You don’t put a lot of flour and there is no fat in it. You just whisk eggs and caster sugar until they’re really foamy and fold in the other ingredients. Which is what makes it so bendy and foldable. And since this cake is baked in a cookie sheet (also know as a sheet pan) and the batter is spread out it bakes rather quickly. Mine takes about 8-10 minutes to turn beautiful and light golden in color.
Then comes the lemon syrup which keeps the cake moist and flavourful , which is just water, lemon juice and sugar. Once you’ve brushed that onto the cake, you can just pile it with your favourite frosting. I love to do a basic whipped cream with berries and kiwis, and sometimes just berries! Needless to say this cake is a show stopper!
- For the Sponge:
- Eggs, 5 (room temp.)
- Caster sugar, ¾cup
- Flour, ¾ cup
- Vanilla Essence, 1 teaspoon
- Baking Powder, ½ teaspoon
- Lemon Zest and Juice, 1 large lemon
- For the Glaze:
- Icing Sugar, 5 teaspoon
- Water, ½ cup
- Lemon Juice, 1 tablespoon
- For the Frosting:
- Whipping Cream (sweetened), 1 cup
- Kiwi, 1 cup (chopped)
- Blueberries, ½ cup
- Lemon Zest, 1 lemon
- Preaheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Whisk eggs with a hand mixer until pale and foamy for about 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add the caster sugar and whisk on high for 7 minutes or until the eggs triple in size and turn really light and foamy.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, lemon zest and juice, and mix until everything is properly mixed. Make sure you don't whisk too much or you could end up knocking the air out.
- Grease a cookie sheet with oil and line it with butter paper. Pour the batter on it and bake for 8-10 minutes or until the sponge is lightly golden and puffed up.
- Transfer the sponge to a tea towel and roll it in the cloth (please watch the video for this step). Refrigerate for atleast 1 hour.
- When you're ready to serve, whisk whipping cream for atleast 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Roll out the sponge and spread the whipping cream on it using a spatula. Sprinkle the kiwi and blueberry on top and start rolling from one end to the other. The sponge might stick to the tea towel, but its okay, just keep going.
Looking for simple recipes like this one? Try these…
Easy Tiramisu (eggless) Recipe