These moist egg less Lemon cupcakes are so light and delicious, the lemon icing makes them taste even better!
Spring is here and so is my obsession with lemon cakes! My most popular recipe on the blog is my eggless lemon drizzle cake and I believe its because it has no eggs. I wanted to replicate that recipe only I jazzed it a bit with my lemon icing which is more like lemon buttercream. The result, you ask!? Luscious lemon cupcakes with rich tangy icing.. A perfect spring weather fix!
I’m always up for substituting eggs so that everyone can enjoy my food, in this recipe I have substituted eggs with buttermilk, the best substitute for eggs. Unless of course you’re adding eggs for leavening (or making cakes rise) in that case, stick to eggs! I’ve used buttermilk in a lot of my recipes and I have never ever been disappointed with the results. Buttermilk makes the cakes moist without imparting any taste and you can make it almost instantaneously. For this recipe you need half cup buttermilk which is approximately 120 ml. To make buttermilk instantly, heat 120 ml of milk and add in the juice of one lemon to it, continue heating until the milk curdles. After the milk has curdled, sieve out the fat and the remaining liquid is your buttermilk which you can use as a substitute for eggs in all cakes and cupcakes.
These cupcakes are really easy and are ready in 25 minutes. Once they’re cool you can spread the icing all over them, I decorated mine with a few silver balls, you can also decorate them with colorful sprinkles or eat them straightaway! The icing I made is completely impromptu and is a result of hit and trial in the kitchen. I knew I needed butter and icing sugar so I added them until I found the perfect balance of sugar and butter, to flavor the icing I added a little lemon juice and lemon zest. This icing is really really rich and if you’re on a diet, you might wanna eat the cupcakes without it. It is a guilty pleasure..don’t say I didn’t warn you 😉
RECIPE: Lemon Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting!
For the Cupcakes
- Butter, 70 grams
- Powdered Sugar, 70 grams
- Lemon Zest, of 1 lemon
- Lemon Juice, 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla Essence, 1 teaspoon
- All Purpose Flour, 128 grams or 1 cup
- Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon
- Buttermilk, 120 ml or 1/2 cup (to learn how to make instant buttermilk, read post above)
- Milk, 50 ml
For the Lemon Icing
- Icing Sugar, 70-80 grams
- Unsalted Butter at room temp., 100 grams
- Lemon Juice, 2 teaspoons or as needed
- Lemon zest, of half a lemon or as needed
- Liquid Yellow Color, 1 drop, optional
Silver balls for decoration or sprinkles.
Preheat oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Whisk butter until light and fluffy. When the butter turns pale yellow in color add in the sugar and whisk again until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla essence, lemon juice, lemon zest and mix. In a separate bowl, sift flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour mix to the butter mix little by little, keep alternating with buttermilk. When you run out of butter milk start adding milk to the flour mix. Mix sparingly, DO NOT WHISK.
- You should have a smooth batter by now, toss this batter into a greased cupcake tray with 9 holes (3 inches diameter and 1 inch deep). Line the cupcake
tray with paper cups to ensure that the cupcakes don’t stick to it. Bake at 180 degree Celsius for about 20- 25 minutes or until well risen and slightly golden. Insert a skewer in the center of the cupcakes and if it comes out clean with a few crumbs then your cupcakes are ready. Let them cool on a wire rack whilst you make your icing.
- For the icing, whisk butter until light and fluffy, add in the icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest and whisk again until everything is combined and the icing looks fluffy.
- Spread the icing over the cupcakes when they’re cool using a piping bag or a spoon. Decorate with silver balls or sprinkles of your choice and DIG IN!! 😀
Write to me for any queries!