Learn how to ace a perfect summer dessert with fresh plums and cherries and a crusty pie.
This rustic summer dessert is scrumptious and so fresh filled with fruits and wrapped around a crusty pie. Also, its a free-form pie and all you have to do is just crimp the edges to secure the filling.
With just basic ingredients like sugar, flour, butter and a little water, you have your pastry dough ready. Now just roll it and fill it with fresh fruits of your choice.
Since its summer time, I planned to use some tropical flavours. This time I am using a combination of plums and cherries with some cinnamon and sugar. Cinnamon gives a refreshing flavour to the dessert and aroma once its baked to perfection.
- For the Pie Crust:
- All Purpose Flour (maida), 1½ cups
- Caster Sugar, 3 tablespoons
- Salt, ¼ teaspoon
- Chilled Butter, ½ cup (cubed)
- Chilled Water, ¼ cup
- Egg (beaten), 1
- For the Filling
- Ripe Plums, 4-5 (sliced)
- Pitted Fresh Cherries, ⅓ cup
- Lemon Juice, of 1 lemon
- Cinnamon Powder, ½ teaspoon
- Caster Sugar, 2 tablespoons
- Egg, beaten, 1
- For the crust: In a bowl mix flour, sugar and butter with your finger tips until all the butter is incorporated and you have grainy mix.
- Add in the water and knead lightly to get the mixture together. Knead until you'e formed a dough. P.S. Do not knead the dough too much, only until it comes together.
- Form a disc of the dough, wrap it in cling film and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- For the topping: Mix together peaches, blueberries, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon powder and set aside until your dough is ready. Make sure there are no juices in the filling leftover from the fruit because that could make your dough galette soggy.
- Mount the filling in the centre. Leave about 2 inches of dough around the filling. This is what you will fold over the filling to get that quintessential galette shape.
- Now pick up an edge and fold it over the filling. Repeat this until all of the dough is tucked securely around the filling. Crimp the dough where needed.
- Brush the beaten egg on the edges and sprinkle sugar on it. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the galette is golden and fruits are cooked.
- Best served alone for breakfast and for desserts with vanilla ice cream.