A simple recipe to make hearty beetroot soup with a kick of spice.
Makes: 4 servings
- • Olive Oil, 3 tablespoons
- • Tomatoes, 3 medium quartered
- • Garlic Cloves, 4-5 smashed
- • Green Chili, 1 deseeded and sliced length-wise
- • Red Onion, 1 medium chopped finely
- • Tomato Paste, 1 tablespoon
- • Sugar, 1 teaspoon
- • Beetroots, 2 small chopped finely
- • Vegetable Stock, 1 litre (You can use 2 vegetable stock cubes and dissolve them in 1 litre water)
- • Lemon Juice, 1 tablespoon
- • Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Quarter your tomatoes, bash the garlic and slice the chili, add them to a foiled baking tray and drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil on it. Add a bit of salt and pepper, toss to mix everything and roast in the oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, chop beetroots and onions.
- In a pan, drizzle a little bit of olive oil and fry in the onions, and cook on low heat until transparent. Add in the roasted tomatoes (chili and garlic too), tomato paste and the beetroots. Fry for about 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add all of the vegetable stock, sugar and boil. Once the soup reaches a boil, simmer it. Cover and cook for 25 minutes. The beetroots won't go soft. Don't worry that's okay!
- Blend the soup until smooth and pass through a sieve to strain out pips. Add in the lemon juice and mix, slightly warm the soup
- Drizzle a little bit of fresh cream or crumbled feta cheese and serve.